Anmeldung / Registration
Die Vorlesung findet im Wintersemester 2020/2021 ab dem 04.11.2020 digital statt.
Bitte melden Sie sich für die Vorlesung über KIS-Office bis zum 02.11.2020 an.
Nach der Anmeldung erhalten Sie am 03.11.2020 einen Zugangscode für OLAT per E-Mail.
The lecture in Winter Semester 2020/2021 will be taking place digitally starting on 04.11.2020.
Please register for the lecture under KIS-Office until 02.11.2020.
After the registration you will receive an access code for OLAT via e-mail on 03.11.2020.
Analog and Power Electronics in Medicine and Biomedical Research
Electromagnetic fields play a key role in modern medicine and medical nanotechnology. They allow looking into the body, particularly the brain, measure the anatomy in 3D, detect activation, read but also write signals. Electromagnetic fields can be used for a number of additional applications.
The course will give students from engineering and physics an introduction to the use of technology for medical purposes. The starting point of the course will be the nervous system and the brain as a widely electrical system.
Topics that will be covered:
- neuroengineering and an introduction to basic neurophysiology
- fundamental basic neuroanatomy
- physics of signaling in neurons
- electromagnetic properties of body tissue
- detecting neural signals in the central (brain/spine) and the peripheral nervous system
- cardiac monitoring (electrocardiography, ecg) and stimulation (defibrillation and pace making)
- neurostimulation and neuromodulation: writing signals into the brain (invasively and noninvasively)
- brain–machine interfaces
- design of circuits to detect neural signals as well as to stimulate/modulate neural circuits
- basics of imaging
- magnetic resonance imaging for anatomical, functional, and connectivity scanning
- introduction to medical device standards and device safety
In addition to the script, there will be mandatory readings from magazines and scholarly journals.
- R. Plonsey, R. Barr. Bioelectricity: A Quantitative Approach. 3rd edition, Springer, Berlin, 2007.
- M. Akay. Handbook of Neural Engineering. Wiley/IEEE Press, Hoboken (NJ), 2007.
- B. He. Neural Engineering. Kluwer Academic, New York, 2005.
- R. Ilmoniemi, J. Sarvas. Brain signals: Physics and mathematics of MEG and EEG. The MIT Press, Cambridge (MA), 2019.
- B. Elahi. Safety Risk Management for Medical Devices. Academic Press, London, 2018.
- Leonard Eisner, Robert M. Brown, and Dan Modi. IEC 60601-1: Medical Device Marking and Labeling. https://www.mddionline.com/iec-60601-1-medical-device-marking-and-labeling, retrieved: 10/1/2019