Architecture of Digital Systems II
|13:45 - 15:15|
15:30 - 17:00
2 hours of lecture / 1 hour of assignments
Start: Wednesday, October 25, 2017
- Exam dates have been fixed. See below for information on exam.
This lecture discusses basic architectures of microprocessor-based digital systems as they are employed in embedded systems and systems-on-chip today. The chapters and their topics:
- Introduction. Challenges of Embedded System design, the design flow and design methodology.
- Microprocessor Instruction sets. Comparison of a general-purpose CPU with a digital signal processing CPU.
- Microprocessor Interfaces. Mechanisms and infrastructures for communication within embedded systems. Interrupts, bus systems, bus hierarchies.
- Processes and Operating Systems. Fundamentals of multi-tasking in embedded systems.
- Multiprocessors. Basic multi-processing architectures and communication schemes. Cache coherence.
- Networks and Distributed Systems. Mechanisms and infrastructures for communication between embedded systems. Examples of network protocols.
This course is taught in English.
The exercise sessions are tutored by Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Fehmel.
Exercise downloads see separate webpage.
Access information for the course material is given in class.
(slides per page)
|0 -||Organisation||(1) (2) (4)|
|1 -||Introduction - Designing Embedded Systems||(1) (2) (4)||small change on slide 35|
|2 -||Microprocessor Instruction Sets||(1) (2) (4)|
|3 -||Microprocessor Interfaces||(1) (2) (4)|
|4 -||Processes and Operating Systems||(1) (2) (4)|
|5 -||Multiprocessors||(1) (2) (4)|
|6 -||Networks and Distributed Systems||(1) (2) (4)|
|A -||Appendix A - Formalizing System Design with UML||(1) (2) (4)|
Some information about the exam:
- The exam is an oral exam.
- Exam dates will be published on this web page.
- You must have registered with the authorities responsible for your study course/program (Abteilung für Prüfungsangelegenheiten) in order to be able to take the exam.
- Appointments for exams must be made online. For instructions download [PDF].
- After online registration, you also need to have your student ID card verified with our secretary, Carmen Vicente-Fess (office hours: Mo-Fr 10:00h - 13:00h).
(In case you have already done this in an earlier semester for a different exam and your login still works you don't have to go through the registration procedure again. Your email address needs to be from the rhrk.uni-kl.de domain.)
- Please note: the number of available time slots on each oral exam date is limited. If all time slots on a particular day are taken the online registration system will not allow you to select that day and you will have to make a different choice.
- Mon, 2017-07-17: ADS2 exam and ADS1/ADS2 combined exam
- Thu, 2017-10-05: ADS2 exam and ADS1/ADS2 combined exam
- Tue, 2017-10-10: ADS2 exam
Important notes regarding exam dates
- No other exam dates besides the listed ones are available in this semester. New dates will be fixed only in the next semester.
- The number of time slots per exam date is limited. If you have constraints regarding your exam dates, maybe because you have another exam on one of shown dates, please make sure to register early while your favorite date is still available. Time slots are assigned "first come - first serve".