Architecture of Digital Systems I
|11:45 - 13:15|
11:45 - 13:15
2 hours of lecture / 1 hour of assignments (4 ECTS credits)
Start: Friday, October 27, 2017
This course addresses the fundamentals of computer architecture with focus on RISC processors. We will discuss
- Data representation
- Signed and unsigned fixed point numbers
- Floating point numbers, IEEE 754 standard
- Computer arithmetic
- Sequential and parallel hardware implementations
- Instruction set and machine language
- Instruction set categories
- Addressing modes
- Assembler programming
- Datapath and control
- Hardware implementation of a processor
- Control unit design, microprogramming
- Instruction set parallelism
- Superscalar and VLIW processors
- Dynamic scheduling
- Memory hierarchy
- Virtual memory, page tables, TLB
The exercise sessions are tutored by Dipl.-Ing. Christian Bartsch.
Homework assignments can be downloaded through OpenOLAT (see below).
- Patterson/Hennessy: Computer Organization and Design - The Hardware/Software-Interface, Morgan Kaufmann, 2013, EIT 860/103
- Hennessy/Patterson: Computer Architecture - A Quantitative Approach, Morgan Kaufmann, 2011, EIT 860/104.
For download material and further information please use OpenOLAT.
- to be announced